Area Coordinator - Residence Life
The Residence Life Department at Aquinas College has an immediate opening for an Area Coordinator.
The Area Coordinator is responsible for completing administrative, supervisory, and programmatic duties for a residential area housing 225-400 residents. As a live-in professional, the Area Coordinator is also one of the primary staff members to respond in the event of a campus emergency or crisis incident. Additionally, the Area Coordinator is a major collaborator with other colleagues to implement programs and services that promote the retention, growth, and success of students. Anticipated start date for this position is June 2018.
- Supervises, trains, and evaluates student employees (including 9-12 RAs and, if applicable, 10-15 front desk workers).
- Participates in on-call rotation for campus, including some holiday coverage, and responds to emergencies on-campus.
- Serves as “essential staff” in the event of a weather-related delay or closure.
- Adjudicates cases through student conduct process.
- Mediates conflicts between students.
- Responds to concerns from parents of students living in area.
- Directs programmatic initiatives and community development for area.
- Conducts wellness checks and provides support and referrals to students facing personal or academic challenges.
- Oversees all administrative aspects of area, including opening & closing of residence halls, room changes, facilities work requests, budget management, records maintenance, and report submission.
- Shares responsibility for departmental projects, including housing selection and assignment process, staff selection, RA recognition, RA staff development, RA training, departmental, division-wide, and institutional programming, advising for student organizations, and summer operations.
- Collaborates with other student affairs colleagues (through committees, etc.) to implement programs and services that promote the retention, growth, and success of students.
Knowledge, Skills, and Education Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Master’s Degree in College Student Personnel/Student Affairs Administration, Higher Education Administration, or other related field highly preferred.
- A minimum of one year of work experience in Higher Education residence life, either as a student employee or a professional staff member, required.
- Demonstrated knowledge in student development theory and best practices in student affairs and higher education required.
- A valid driver’s license required.
- Ability to secure reliable transportation required.
- Knowledge of Google technologies required.
- Social media experience preferred.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and projects required.
- Ability to meet deadlines required.
- Ability to remain calm during difficult situations required.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality required.
- Ability to maintain professionalism and behave ethically required.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team required.
- Ability to take direction required.
- Ability to apply independent judgment and sound decision-making required.
- Ability to follow protocol and procedure per legal and College standards required.
- Strong supervision and management skills required.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills required.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills required.
- Strong public speaking skills required.
- Willingness and ability to live on-campus required.
- Willingness and ability to work a flexible schedule, including some evening, weekend, and holiday on-call hours, required.
- Willingness to represent and promote the Dominican ideals of Aquinas College required.
- Sensitivity to, and respect for, the diverse cultural backgrounds of Aquinas college faculty, staff, and students required.
Work Environment & Physical Demands:
- Flexible schedule with frequent evening meetings (frequent meetings at 10:00 p.m. to accommodate the needs of student schedules) and attendance at evening/weekend events.
- Able to maneuver throughout multi-floor residential buildings.
- Walking across campus to attend meetings, events, attend to emergencies, and conduct. errands in all buildings on-campus.
- Able to lift and carry up to 25 lbs.
- Able to sit and stand for prolonged periods of time.
- Use of typical office equipment (phone, fax, copier, computer.)
- Able to climb stairs.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
Aquinas College is an equal opportunity employer and an inclusive educational community rooted in the Catholic Dominican tradition. Aquinas College provides a liberal arts education with a global perspective, emphasizes career preparation focused on leadership and service to others, and fosters a commitment to lifelong learning dedicated to the pursuit of truth and the common good. Aquinas College values: Faith, Learning, Service and Community.
To apply for this position, please visit: https://aquinas.prismhr-hire.com/. Applications received by May 4, 2018 will receive first consideration. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.