Administrative Assistant - Residence Life (Part-Time)
The Aquinas College Residence Life Office seeks a part-time Administrative Assistant to assist with the overall administration of an active and lively department. The Administrative Assistant works 25 hours/week for 11 months of the year and 40 hours/week during the month of August only. Hours are flexible in working with the supervisor, but must be consistent and be during our business hours of Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
This position will be considered one of six professional staff in the Residence Life Office, including the Director and four master’s level professionals, who serve over 800 students residing in 14 residential facilities. Reporting to the Director of Residence Life, this position is primarily responsible for providing general customer service, office management, processing paperwork, maintaining electronic and hard copy records and files, communicating with internal and external customers, data entry, generating reports for the Director and professional staff, and other duties as assigned. Anticipated starting date for this position is early November 2018.
- Provide general customer service for the Residence Life Office, including answering the phone, assisting walk-in visitors, answering questions, collecting information, providing forms, and making referrals.
- Maintain and input student related information in Colleague database system including, but not limited to, room assignments, room changes, and meal plan information.
- Maintain and update files, including student housing files, student conduct files, and personnel files.
- Assist with student billing, including damage billing and break charges.
- Help with the administrative processes of move-in and move-out at the beginning and end of each semester and for each break periods.
- Maintain accurate floor plans and student residency lists.
- Assist Director & Assistant Director with maintaining current occupancy numbers for each residential facility.
- Assist with the administrative aspects of the room change process, including processing paperwork, changing student records, communicating with other campus offices, and distribution of keys.
- Assist with the room assignment process, including processing housing applications and cancellations.
- Compose, draft, and proofread correspondence, forms, and other office documentation.
- Process financial paperwork, including making copies and maintaining spreadsheets of expenditures.
- Assist in other administrative aspects of the department including requisition of office supplies, repair of office equipment, incoming and outgoing mail, and occasionally running errands (on-or off-campus).
- Help train, schedule, oversee, and distribute work assignments to student assistants.
- Collaborate with the Director to continually improve and document office processes, procedures, and standards.
- Correspond and communicate regularly with other campus offices, including, but not limited to, Physical Plant, Housekeeping, Business Office, Mailroom, and Campus Safety.
- Assist with the implementation of summer operations, including summer housing for Aquinas students, interns, and conferences/special groups.
- Attend regular departmental staff meetings, individual meetings, and other meetings as requested by the Director.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Education Requirements:
- A valid driver’s license required.
- Ability to secure reliable transportation required.
- Competency in MS Office Suite required, specifically Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Competency in Google technologies required (Google Docs, Gmail, etc.)
- Proficiency in Datatel/Colleague highly preferred.
- Ability to understand the needs of college students is required.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail required.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and projects and meet deadlines required.
- Ability to remain calm during difficult situations required.
- Ability to maintain professionalism, behave ethically, and maintain confidentiality required.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team required.
- Ability to take direction required.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions required.
- Ability to apply independent judgment and sound decision-making required.
- Ability to follow protocol and procedure per legal and College standards required.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills required.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills required.
- Proven self-starter; able to initiate and complete projects without constant supervision required.
- Competency working with numbers and basic arithmetic required.
- Demonstration of strong customer service skills, specifically in a student-centered environment required.
- Ability to work 25 hours/week during 11 months/year and 40 hours/week during the month of August required.
- Willingness to represent and promote the Dominican ideals of Aquinas College required
- Sensitivity to, and respect for, the diverse cultural backgrounds of Aquinas college faculty, staff, and students required.
- High School Diploma Required.
- Associates Degree or above strongly required.
- A minimum of two years of experience providing administrative support to an office, highly preferred in an educational environment.
Work Environment & Physical Demands:
- Able to maneuver throughout multi-floor residential buildings.
- Walking across campus to attend meetings, events, and conduct errands in all buildings on-campus.
- Able to drive to conduct errands off-campus.
- Able to lift and carry up to 25 lbs.
- Able to sit and stand for prolonged periods of time.
- Use of typical office equipment (phone, fax, copier, computer).
- Able to climb stairs.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
Aquinas College is an equal opportunity employer and an inclusive educational community rooted in the Catholic Dominican tradition. Aquinas College provides a liberal arts education with a global perspective, emphasizes career preparation focused on leadership and service to others, and fosters a commitment to lifelong learning dedicated to the pursuit of truth and the common good. Aquinas College values: Faith, Learning, Service and Community.
Applications include cover letter, resume, and names & contact information for three professional references. Applications received by October 10, 2018 will receive first consideration. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.